Thursday 10 April 2014

Review: Half Bad - Sally Green

Just a short review!

I purchased this book after the hype on booktube and I DID enjoy it but I wasn't blown away like I expected to be.
This is the first ‘witch novel’ I’ve read, though it is knowingly different to your typical Harry Potter novel.
     Nathan, our protagonist, is Half Bad; he’s half white witch, half black witch - within his blood mingles the power to do good but also evil
     Living within a white witch dominated society, Nathan is wanted by no one and hunted by everyone. He is feared because of who his father is, one of the most powerful black witches around. Nathan has been trapped in a cage, like a feared animal, but now he is free and he only has until his 17th birthday to find what he needs.
     I can honestly say I went into this novel blind, I had no idea what to expect but I was pleasantly surprised. The switching from 2nd to 1st POV was intriguing to say the least, though both tenses were insightful. 
     Despite being in the shoes of Nathan, whose contact with others is limited, you become attached to several of the characters, though I admit not all. The characterisation was as good as can be expected really but I would have liked a little more background on several characters to pad them out - make them feel more real.
     The realism of the events that occurred is what struck me most. Green went into detail with the ins and outs of Nathan’s experiences - especially when mentioning the suffering he endured and how these mentally and physically scarred him.
     I can’t really say too much about this book as it was so unique, BUT I can say that it makes for a good read; it’s fast-paced, action-packed and full of intriguing characters who light the way on Nathan’s journey of survival and self-discovery.


No comments:

Post a Comment

 

Blog Template by BloggerCandy.com